Western New York Law Center, Buffalo, New York
Attorney, September 2012- Present
I represent individuals in consumer law and civil rights matters and staff weekly self help law clinics for consumers.
SUNY-Buffalo Law School, Buffalo, New York
Adjunct Professor, January 2012 – Present
I co-teach the Consumer Financial Advocacy Clinic which, among other things, provides pro bono assistance and representation to consumer defendants in Buffalo City Court debt-collection lawsuits.
Law Offices of Matthew A. Parham, Buffalo, New York
Sole Proprietor, October 2010 – Present
I was the sole practitioner attorney at a law firm representing individuals principally in consumer protection, civil rights, and police misconduct litigation matters.
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, New York, New York
Litigation Associate, November 2005 – September 2010
I represented large international financial institutions and high-tech companies in complex litigation matters including securities class actions, shareholder derivative actions, contract disputes, patent infringement actions, and business torts in both federal and state trial and appellate courts throughout the United States. I also acted as lead counsel in various litigation matters for pro bono clients, including immigration removal defense and asylum, federal-court naturalization petitions, and state criminal matters.
The Hon. Rosemary S. Pooler, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Syracuse, New York
Chambers Law Clerk, September 2004 – August 2005
I conducted legal research, wrote bench memoranda, assisted the Judge in preparing for oral argument, and drafted court orders and opinions in federal trademark, asylum, contract, criminal, habeas corpus, and other appeals.
New York University School of Law, New York, New York
J.D. Degree, magna cum laude, May 2004.
- New York University Law Review, Staff Editor 2002-03, Articles Editor, 2003-04
- Order of the Coif
- Butler Scholar—awarded to top 10 2Ls based on academic performance
- Pomeroy Scholar—awarded to top 10 1Ls based on academic performance
- Dean’s Scholarship—scholarship based on academic merit
Activities: Unemployment Action Center, hearing representative and Appeals Coordinator
Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, New York, New York
M.A. in Mathematics, October 1999.
Honors: Faculty Fellowship
Activities: Adjunct Instructor of Mathematics, Columbia University School of Continuing Studies
Johns Hopkins University College of Arts and Sciences, Baltimore, Maryland
B.A. and M.A. in Mathematics, May 1998. General and Departmental Honors; 3.9 Cumulative GPA.
- Phi Beta Kappa
- J.J. Sylvester Award in Mathematics—awarded to outstanding graduating Mathematics major
- Dean’s List, all semesters
- New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- American Bar Association:
- New York State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Council.
- National Lawyer’s Guild: International Committee; Mass Defense Committee
- National Police Accountability Project
- American Association for Justice
- American Civil Liberties Union.
- Bar Association of Erie County
Awards and Honors
- New York State Bar Association, Empire State Counsel, 2007, 2009 (recognizing substantial pro bono work during those years)
- Legal Aid Society, Pro Bono Publico Award, 2010, 2011 (recognizing outstanding pro bono service to the Legal Aid Society’s clients).
Lawson v. USCIS, 795 F. Supp. 2d 283 (S.D.N.Y. 2011)